Queen City Disposal has some tips on how to reduce food waste to not only reduce methane emissions but also save you money!
You probably don’t realize how much food you are throwing away every day. About 94% of the food we throw away ends up in landfills. By managing food waste we can help businesses save money and help out communities who don’t have enough food to eat.
Benefits of Reducing Wasted Food
- Save money by buying less food.
- Reduce methane emissions from landfills.
- Conserve energy and resources.
- Support your community by donating untouched food that would otherwise go to waste to those who might not have a steady supply of food.
Ways to Reduce Food Waste
- Make a shopping list before going to the grocery store.
- Plan your meals for the week.
- Buy only what you need and will use. Buying in bulk only saves money if you are able to use the food before it spoils.
- Find out how to store fresh fruits and vegetables so they’ll stay fresher longer in the refrigerator.
- Freeze, preserve or can surplus fruits and vegetables.
- Wait to wash berries until you’re ready to eat them to prevent mold.
Prepare perishable foods soon after shopping. It will be easier to whip up meals or snacks later in the week, saving time, effort, and money.
- Freeze food such as bread, sliced fruit, or uncooked meat that you know you won’t be able to eat in time.
- Cut your time in the kitchen by preparing and freezing meals ahead of time.
- Prepare and cook perishable items, then freeze them for use throughout the month.
- For example, bake and freeze chicken breasts or fry and freeze taco meat.
If you can’t reduce wasted food, divert it from landfills
- Donate safe and untouched food to a local food bank.
- Compost food scraps instead of throwing them away.
- Compost makes great fertilizer!
Queen City Disposal is a locally owned and operated business. Our mission is to ensure the delivery of a cost-effective and environmentally sound solid waste management system.
Contact us today and let’s talk trash!
Queen City Disposal
50 Reynolds Street
Clarksville, TN 37040