According to Stanford University, Americans throw away 25% more trash during the time between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. Queen City Disposal has some tips on how you can reduce the amount of trash that goes into our landfills during the holiday season.
- Use real plates for meals. Washing dishes is better than filling the trash can with tons of paper.
- If you must use paper plates, buy the ones that are made from recycled material.
- Use cloth napkins. More laundry but less trash.
- Don’t over-buy at the grocery store. Get an accurate headcount so you don’t waste food.
- Plan ahead for leftovers by asking your guests to bring a container so they can take food back home with them.
- Keep a clean towel by your sink to keep from using paper towels.
- Place a recycling bin next to your trash cans to make it easy for your guests to help you recycle.
- Love seltzer or soda? Invest in a Sodastream to use fewer plastic bottles and cans.
- Instead of buying wrapping paper, get crafty with what you already have.
- Old maps
- Sunday comics
- Brown paper bags
- Use decorative tins, baskets, or boxes.
- Carefully open your wrapped presents to save the paper for next year.
- Use cloth ribbons instead of plastic bows and save for next year.
- If you do buy wrapping paper, buy recyclable paper.
- Gift certificates
- Tickets to plays, concerts, or sporting events
- Go green by giving green… money that is!
- Start a savings account or give bonds or just stick some money in a card.
There are many ways to reduce waste. It’s also a good way to keep from overfilling your trash bins.
Queen City Disposal is a locally owned and operated business. Our mission is to ensure the delivery of a cost-effective and environmentally sound solid waste management system.
Contact us today and let’s talk trash!
Queen City Disposal
50 Reynolds Street
Clarksville, TN 37040
Phone: (931) 896-1500